8 pieces (serves 4-5) | main course | with meals | one pot meal
Easy one pot dark soya sauce chicken recipe for multi-cooker or slow cooker.
- 7-8 chicken pieces – Drums and thighs
- 1/2 garlic bulb
- 8 rehydrated large shiitake mushrooms (12 if using small mushrooms)
- 1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
- 6 tbs sweet dark soya sauce*
- 4 tsp light soya sauce
- 1 star anise
- 1″ cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 300ml water
- Clean chicken pieces well. Place in a large saucepan.
- Remove skin from garlic and bash slightly.
- Cut the stems off the rehydrated mushrooms and cut eat in to half.
- Sprinkle five spice powder over the chicken.
- Put all ingredients (except water) in to the saucepan and mix well.
- Cover and place in high heat.
- When it starts to boil, add in the water.
- Turn down to medium heat and leave to boil for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure that chicken is well coated in the sauce.
*If you cannot find sweet dark soya sauce, use regular dark soya sauce and add 2 tbs sugar
Serve immediately with a bowl of steamed fragrant rice as a course.